Best Mattress For Lightweight Individuals
The Signature is Nolahs front runner item, and uses the brand names proprietary AirFoam and also high density poly foam to achieve a soft yet supportive feel.
The Nolah Signature 12 is a luxury flippable all-foam mattress thats medium-firm on one side as well as medium-soft on the various other.
Exceptional activity seclusion makes the Nolah Signature an excellent option for couples that are easily disturbed by mattress motion while they rest.
Mattress Model Kind: Air Foam
Client Rating: 4.8 out of 5
Firmness: Medium-soft or Medium-firm
Trial Duration for Returns: 120 evenings
Our #1 Choice For Best Mattress For Neurological Conditions: The Nolah 10 Original Mattress
sells for $899 in queen
Our #1 choice for best memory foam mattress is based on 25 years of experience with my own designs for memory foam mattresses Ive created for many web sites before I began reviewing them for therapeutic use. though they offer three models, I highly recommend their Nolah Original 10 Mattress as the best overall option for neurological medical conditions.
The Nolah company doesnt use the term memory foam in their descriptions, because their highly breathable material, while having the pressure relieving qualities and yielding qualities that are familiar to us, actually sleeps cooler and is a little bit firmer in feel.
The top layer of AirFoam combined with the slightly bouncy and highly responsive immediately below make turning and getting in and out of bed much easier than conventional memory foam does. Ive tested the Nolah 10 Original mattress myself, and for reducing pressure, minimizing bed sores and offering a slight hug, this mattress could help with calming, sleep induction, and result in deeper, more restorative rest.
Bases on my own test drives, actual customer feedback and write-ups by other review web sites, the mattress seems to be the best option for side sleepers, too. By gently filling in pockets like lower back, the void area between rib cage and hips, youll get better support and reduce restlessness as well.
Cooling Materials & Breathability
Being hot can make your back trouble worse for many reasons, one of which is dehydration. When youre not properly hydrated, you lose fluid in your joints, exacerbating your existing symptoms.
Since memory foam tends to sleep hot, if you choose this bed, make sure you get one that has a top layer designed to keep you cool. Look for gel material and copper infusions, both of which keep the surface of the mattress cooler and help draw heat away from your body.
Also look for something called open-cell structure. This means that the mattress was designed for adequate airflow that can help cool down a hot mattress.
If youre concerned about the bed you buy being too hot, you can also get a mattress topper with cooling properties as well.
Want to know more? Read our full top cooling beds guide here.
You May Like: What Are Early Warning Signs Of Parkinson’s Disease
Consider Buying An Adjustable Bed
If you have insomnia then buying an adjustable bed could be an excellent investment because being able to adjust the angle of the bed can help to improve breathing, weight distribution, and mobility useful if you have specific conditions like asthma, allergies, arthritis, back pain, COPD, fibromyalgia, GERD/acid reflux, hip pain, osteoporosis, Parkinsons disease, restless leg syndrome, sciatica, shoulder pain, or sleep apnea.
And whilst you can attempt to build your own adjustable bed, its far safer and more convenient to buy an adjustable bed frame and compatible mattress click the button below to see the best options now.
Mattress And Bedding Guide For People With Disabilities
According to the most recent findings from the U.S. Census Bureau, 56.7 million disabled adults and children reside in the United States. This figure accounts for roughly 19% of the countrys total population. Of these 56.7 million:
- 8.1 million have difficulty seeing, and 2 million are considered legally blind.
- 7.6 million have a hard time hearing, with 1.1 million experiencing severe hearing problems and 5.6 million using a hearing aid.
- 30.6 million struggle with walking or stair-climbing many of these individuals rely on wheelchairs, crutches and other assistive devices.
- 19.9 million have difficulty reaching, holding and grasping objects.
- 15.5 million have trouble with at least one daily task as a result of their disability these tasks include bathing, eating and dressing themselves.
- 2.4 million have been diagnosed with Alzheimers disease, senility or dementia.
- 7 million have depression, anxiety and other mental health disorders that are severe enough to impact their daily lives.
Disabilities impact people in different ways. Disabilities are currently classified into five subdivisions.
Virtually every type of disability is linked to certain sleep issues. This article will explore the relationship between sleep and different types of disabilities, as well as some popular bedding products and accessories used by disabled sleepers. First, lets look at some of the latest studies and scientific findings exploring the way disabilities affect sleep and vice versa.
Recommended Reading: How Long Can Someone With Parkinson’s Drive
What Are The Best Tips To Get Better Sleep For Parkinsons Patients
If you want to get better sleep, you will need to consider a lot of factors. Following are some of the factors which will enhance the quality of your sleep.
- Exercise There are a number of exercises available that you can do as a Parkinsons patient, which will help you get better sleep and relieve stress.
- Avoid Caffeine and Alcohol If you want to get better sleep, its important that you dont take caffeine or consume alcohol before getting to bed.
- Dont consume liquids before bed Consuming a lot of liquid can cause trouble at night, so its advised that you dont consume a lot of liquid before going to bed. Also, its recommended that you make a trip to the bathroom before going to bed.
- Use a Comfortable Bed If you dont have a comfortable bed, there are great chances that you wont get a comfortable sleep. So, go for a quality bed that will help you get comfortable sleep by supporting your body and managing your body heat.
How To Shop For A Mattress
You probably already know that the best way to see if you like a mattress is to try it. But while in-person shopping used to be the way to go, shopping online is getting increasingly popular with bed-in-a-box options and extended at-home trials.
Either way, make sure youre able to return the mattress if youre not loving it itll help you rest easy knowing you wont be stuck with a mattress you dislike.
Read Also: How Long Does End Stage Parkinson’s Last
What Type Of Mattress Is Best For Seniors
Each mattress typedefined by its internal construction and materialshas its own advantages and disadvantages. While some mattress types may overall offer features that are better for seniors, there can be variation within each category depending on the brand and specific model. Some types also have a greater range of diversity than others. Thats why its important to understand the characteristics of each type of mattress and carefully consider which will best suit your needs.
Dementia And Alzheimers Disease
Alzheimers disease and dementia can affect sleep patterns to different extents depending on the stage of the disease. At early onset, people generally start sleeping longer, become disoriented, and avoid activity, often receding to the bedroom because of increased anxiety.
This behavior increases fairly steadily, often to the point where individuals spend more time napping and sleeping during the day which disrupts the bodys natural circadian rhythm.
Failure to maintain a regular sleep schedule also increases aggression, often brought on by fatigue and restlessness, and can cause confusion, incontinence and other symptoms.
Ive had personal experience with my father dealing with dementia, and watched his sleep patterns behind to deteriorate as the disease progressed. Though he still wanders and is restless, providing him with a better mattress helped to calm his restlessness, and increased the number of hours he spent in deeper sleep.
A curious side effect of Alzheimers patients is their tendency to be more anxious around sunset. This phenomenon is called Sundowning Syndrome, and symptoms can include enhanced confusion, anxiety, and increased bedwetting. A memory foam or latex mattress can help with anxiety by simply providing a slightly immersive sensation that may in fact, be womb-like, inducing a calming effect.
Recommended Reading: Sam Waterston Stroke
How Can I Get Relief On A Budget
Mattresses come in a wide range of price points, so individuals with fibromyalgia may be able to find a budget-friendly option that provides relief. If you dont want to replace your mattress, you can also purchase accessories that may make the sleep surface more comfortable. People who have temperature sensitivity may benefit from a cooling pillow or sleepwear, breathable sheets, and/or a fan. Those who have aches and pains may like a mattress topper for extra cushioning and/or a selection of pillows to give them more options.
Best For Hip And Shoulder Pain
The Purple Mattress
FM pain is widespread meaning it affects both sides of the body. People who experience hip and shoulder pain may sleep best on their back, as side sleeping can put extra pressure on already painful joints.
One of the many beds in a box on the market, The Purple Mattress is made of a gridded polyurethane foam. Its meant to eliminate pressure points entirely, making it perfect for back sleepers.
Purple offers a 100-night at-home trial, free shipping, and a 10-year warranty.
Puffy Lux Memory Foam Mattress
There isnt a ton of research on what types of mattresses are best for those with allergies. But a 2016 study found that using mattress covers could help reduce exposure to allergens like dust mites.
This Puffy Lux Memory Foam Mattress comes with a hypoallergenic washable cover to help in your pursuit of reduced allergy symptoms.
Additionally, the Puffy Lux is made of breathable foam to prevent overheating. Reviewers also say this mattress has good pressure point reduction.
Puffy offers a 101-night trial, free shipping, and a lifetime warranty.
Mental Illnesses Neurological Disabilities And Sleep
- The Connection Between Sleep and Mental Health: Insomnia and other sleep-loss disorders affect people with many different mental health issues, including depression, anxiety, OCD and PTSD. This thorough guide from the National Alliance on Mental Illness covers causes, symptoms and possible treatment strategies.
- Sleep Deprivation and Depression: Whats the Link?: This article from WebMD examines the relationship between depression and insomnia, and calls out some of the most effective antidepressant medications and non-pharmaceutical treatments available.
- Sleep Disorders: According to this article from the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, mental health issues like anxiety and sleep disorders like insomnia share a complex, chicken and egg relationship the article goes on to explore treatment techniques for people with anxiety who experience insomnia, and vice versa.
- Sundowning, Sleep, Alzheimers and Dementia: People with Alzheimers and other forms of dementia commonly experience sundowning, or behavioral problems that persist throughout the night. Learn more about sundowning and other dementia-related sleep disorders in this guide from the Alzheimers Association.
- Sleep Disturbances: Published by the Parkinsons Disease Foundation, this article looks at some common sleep issues including sleep disruptions and daytime drowsiness that frequently affect people with the neurodegenerative disease known as Parkinsons.
Top 2 Best Mattresses To Combat Insomnia Tested
I have NOT just picked the following two mattresses at random.
But rather, I have recommended them because I have personally slept on them first-hand so I know what they feel like and their qualities have helped me combat some of the conditions that cause my insomnia.
The criteria that I have tested these mattresses against based on my own conditions include:
- Pressure-point-based back pain I have upper and lower back pain thats connected to my shoulder issues that gets worse when I lie on a mattress thats either too firm and/or doesnt have enough pressure relief.
- Postural back pain my lower back arches slightly and becomes painful when I sleep on a mattress that has poor support, is too soft, too firm, or otherwise doesnt keep me in good posture.
- Shoulder pain I have two bad shoulders from boxing and lifting weights that gets worse when I sleep on my side on a mattress thats too firm and/or doesnt provide enough pressure relief.
- Knee pain I have had two keyhole meniscus surgeries on my right knee and torn cartilage in my left knee that can become painful if I sleep on a mattress that doesnt support my joints adequately or provide enough pressure relief.
- Neck pain my neck pain stems from my bad shoulder that is also made worse by sitting at a desk all day sleeping on a mattress thats too firm or soft can throw my neck out of alignment and make the pain worse.
However, I dont have every condition that can cause insomnia.
Read Also: Aspartame And Parkinson’s
Should You Choose Stiff Or Soft
This is along the exact same lines with comfort as well as support. A mattress should neither be too hard or too soft.A mattress should be as neutral as it can be, to ensure both your body and spine stay in a neutral position.Too much rigidity in a mattress will irritate the stress factors, creating pinched nerves, in addition to the blood to stop flowing. If you commonly get up with the feeling of pins and needles onto your body, its most likely from the mattress being too rigid. And if your mattress is too soft, this can create a sagging effect, similar to a hammock. When this occurs, you can find yourself with back pain, due to your spine not being properly aligned.This is why its so important to choose a mattress that is sort of neutral. It provides support with being too right, and its just soft enough in the right places of your body.
Best Mattress For People With Parkinsons Thevocalm
- This topic is empty.
Has anyone heard of ThevoCalm mattress? Website says it is specific for Parkinsons
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Parkinsons News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
This site is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen
We’re not around right now. But you can send us an email and we’ll get back to you, asap.
Also Check: Parkinson’s Inheritance
Best For Back And Neck Pain
Saatva Luxury Firm Mattress
Hybrid mattresses like the Saatva Luxury Firm Mattress are awesome for people that like to sleep on their back. The spring coils offer full body support, while the foam cushion layers provide extra comfort and spinal alignment.
Saatva offers free delivery and a 180-night home trial.
Nectar Memory Foam Mattress
Side-sleeping reviewers say this medium-firm memory foam mattress from Nectar is amazingly comfortable for their sleep style. Even better, Nectar uses multiple layers of memory foam to prevent you from getting too hot at night.
Nectar offers a 365-night at-home trial, free shipping, and a lifetime warranty.
Layla Memory Foam Mattress
The Cleveland Clinic recommends that side sleepers with wider hips and a smaller waist consider a softer mattress to help maintain a neutral spine position while sleeping. If that sounds like your body type, this Layla mattress could be a great fit for you.
Reviewers rave about its flippable firmness aka the fact that one side is firm and the other is soft. Side sleepers love the soft side and the reduced pressure felt from this mattress.
Layla offers a 120-night trial, free shipping, and a lifetime warranty.
Brooklyn Bedding Aurora Hybrid
Cocoon by Sealy Chill Mattress
The Manner A Nectar Mattress Operates Jointly Various Snooze Positions
It is vital that you factor on your Personal Unusual Requirements when Deciding on the Correct mattress For Your requirements.
What works for me may Not Operate for youpersonally, so let us have a Minute The Way sleeping that is different places Might Affect Your encounter with all the Nectar mattress coating construction:
You May Like: Does Alice Waters Have Parkinson’s
Support And Spine Alignment
Keeping your spine supported and in proper spinal alignment is important for three reasons:
When it comes time to buy your bed, make sure youre looking for quality materials and seek out brands that demonstrate that they understand this concept. A cheap memory foam bed, for example, will usually have poorer quality foam that feels dreamy at first but lacks durability.
Tell-tale signs of a cheap mattress that wont work well for you is when you see low-density foam, a lack of certifications , or integrated coils systems that do not offer tailored support.